Thank you for your interest in the Business Emerging Leaders (BEL) Program!
The Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is working to further its vision of a community of diverse students, faculty, and staff, while also bringing the nation's best students to the School. The BEL Program is designed for promising students who come from diverse backgrounds, have strong academic records and demonstrate leadership skills. Program participation gives students a distinct competitive advantage when adjusting to college life, learning in classes, and applying for internship opportunities, ultimately preparing them for successful careers in business.
Students are selected based on their demonstrated academic success, leadership skills, commitment to diversity, and potential to excel in business at the university. BEL Program applicants must:
- Be a current 10th grade student
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have and maintain a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA (unweighted on a 4.0 scale)
BEL applicants must identify as at least one of the following:
- African American
- Southeast Asian American (Hmong, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian)
- Native American
- Low-income student (defined as a student who receives free or reduced lunch benefits at school)
What you'll need for your BEL Program application:
- High School Transcript(s)
- Personal Essay (700 word limit) responding to all of the questions:
- Why are you interested in business?
- What interests you about the BEL Program?
- Please give specific examples of how you have started or want to start pursuing your interest in business.
- My Story Creative Video (2-3 minutes) responding to the questions:
- What challenges have you faced, and how have you overcome them?
- What do you want to achieve in college? After college?
- Video must be in .mov, .mp4, or .wmv format
- Contact information for the teacher or school counselor who will be submitting your recommendation:
- First Name
- Last Name
- School/Organization Name
- Position/Title/Relationship to student
- E-mail Address
- Phone Number
- The application will be open between December 21, 2016 (8:00 AM CT) and March 15, 2017 (4:30 PM CT).